Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bag Phones and Station Wagons

The first cell phone I ever remember is my dad's bag phone plugged into the cigarette lighter in the front seat of our family station wagon. We've come a long way since then haven't we? I realized just how dependent I am on my phone tonight when I set it down on the charger  so I could clean the house, and every few minutes I  felt the need to check it. I'm not going to lie and say I wish I didn't have one because I love the convenience of everything it does for me.  However, I will say that I hope by the time I have kids this world is back to the way it was with bag phones and station wagons. We made our own fun by conversing with one another face to face, singing songs around the campfire, playing capture the flag with neighborhood friends, and making up skits to impress our parents. Everything was more of a challenge; we actually had to get OUT of our chair to unlock our car, MOVE our arm to pick up a Scrabble piece, and DIG through recipe books to find out how to cook something. Now we can be in a different state and unlock a car, play scrabble with a friend by using the touch of our fingertips, and practically cook an entire Thanksgiving dinner through our phones.

Tis' the way of the world  I suppose and I have fallen into the path of it all.  Not to sound like a follower of this world, but keeping up with technology is important these days if we want to know what's going on around us.  I thought I would share with you some of my favorite app's that might make your life a little more convenient:
-Pandora
-Instagram
-Shazam
-Beluga
-Words with Friends
-Starbucks Mobile Card
-Mixology
-Fox News
-Photoshop Express
-Brain Trainer

Just about every day I find a new one that tells me it can make my life that much simpler, but I have to remind myself that this is just a piece of plastic and there is more to life than this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment